Featured Post

Greetings (Who is this guy?)

I've heard so much about the whole "Blog" thing and I have shrugged it off. I figured it was just a bunch of people who don...

Thursday, September 08, 2011

NFL Kickoff Returns

Another NFL season is beginning as I write this. Although I was confident there would be no work stoppage for the most popular professional sport on American television, I am glad the season commenced with little delay.
I was unhappy with one change in the rules. The change regarding kickoffs. Kickoffs this year will be from the 35-yard line. This is a move up from the 30-yard line, from where the ball has been kicked since the 1994 season.
The reason for the move was because of a concern for the safety of the players. Many people in the league are citing the kick return as the one play or situation where players are the most susceptible to injury.
Some people, including me, are sorry to see this rule change. While I applaud the NFL for looking out for the welfare of its players, I believe the return is one of the most exciting plays in football. Moving the ball up to the 35 gives an advantage to the kicking team. It makes it almost automatic that a team will begin at its own 20.
The kickoff return not only provides excitement for the fans and the players but it also gives a team a chance to establish field position. The return can make for an interesting game.

No comments: