Featured Post

Greetings (Who is this guy?)

I've heard so much about the whole "Blog" thing and I have shrugged it off. I figured it was just a bunch of people who don...

Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Michael Jackson

I didn't know what I was going to do on Tuesday. I knew what I wasn't going to do: I wasn't watching the news.

I figured I would be presented with story after story about Michael Jackson. Michael Jackson this. Michael Jackson that. Michael Jackson ate this before he died. TMZ is reporting that Michael Jackson was wearing this when he died.

I've said it before. I'll say it again: God rest his soul. My condolences to his family. God forgive me. I don't care.

I've never really understood the fascination with celebrities' lives. I don't get the obsession people have when celebrities die. (I said "die" instead of "pass away". Does that make me insensitive?)

I got an e-mail from a friend of mine. My friend said he was disappointed to find over 15 stories that dealt with Michael Jackson's death . These stories overshadowed 11 soldiers dying in Afghanistan. There was a story about this on cnn.com. You can find a link to the story here.

I don't think my friend was the only one who bothered to read about the men and women were killed in the line of duty. He was one of the few who were good enough to mention that there are people who are out there risking their lives everyday. Whether you agree with the reasons for their being there or not, you can not deny the fact that they died serving their respective countries.
Personally, my life is too busy to be obsessed with what other people are doing. I would be lying if I said I never wondered what it would be like to be someone for a day. It must be nice to be paid eight figures to play baseball or to hear people screaming your name as you play a guitar. I don't understand what people expect to gain from watching "Extra". Why are people so obsessed with who is dating/marrying/divorcing who? Who cares who has a "bump"? What is the fascination with babies being adopted in foreign countries? I understand there is a lot of poverty in the world but are there not enough children here who would love to be adopted and loved?

I've worked in journalism. I get how it works. Ted Williams died and the city of Boston was following his health just as closely as it was following the Red Sox. A celebrity is stricken or dies and the public is obsessed with the recovery process. If he or she does not survive, the focus of the news suddenly shifts to his or her accomplishments as well as the exploits of that person during his or her life. It may be more interesting than a normal person's life but is it worth obsessing over?

No comments: