Featured Post

Greetings (Who is this guy?)

I've heard so much about the whole "Blog" thing and I have shrugged it off. I figured it was just a bunch of people who don...

Saturday, August 15, 2020

Would People be Willing to Tune in?

I listened to the radio a lot when I was younger but I didn't listen to music. I listened to AM talk radio. I don't remember all of the names of the people I listened to but I do remember some of the shows. There would be some new sprinkled in during the shows but a lot of the material came from people calling in with their own stories or concerns.

Shows back then weren't heavy on political material and if they were, they were people calling in with their opinions on matters. Shows today like Howie Carr have an obvious slant and there is no attempt to hide it.

That's fine. There is an audience and a market for that. I'm wondering if there is a market for shows where people just call in to talk about life and issues that aren't politically slanted. Just talk about local, state, or national politics without bashing liberals or conservatives.

In Boston, there is Dan Rea's NightSide, a nightly program on WBZ-AM. Rea's program allows people to call in and discuss issues and topics introduced at the start of the program. There are plenty of people with opinions to share and the opinions are rarely on the same side but it does allow for people to explain why they feel a certain way about an issue.

There are many podcasts now with people conducting interviews. It's disappointing to turn on the radio and find nationally syndicated programs. If stations looked a little closer at the communities they "serve", I think they would notice something missing. Local voices. People wanting their thoughts heard and a forum to make that happen.

No comments: