Featured Post

Greetings (Who is this guy?)

I've heard so much about the whole "Blog" thing and I have shrugged it off. I figured it was just a bunch of people who don...

Friday, April 29, 2011

Blah, Blah, Blah at the Olde Ball Game

I like to watch baseball. Not just the Red Sox. I like baseball in general. Sometimes things get in the way of enjoying a game in television. Anyone watching baseball on NESN knows what I'm talking about.

Don Orsillo is a good announcer. For the most part, I like the way he calls the game. Jerry Remy is tolerable. He's not as good as he or NESN want you to think. I believe if he just sits back and adds his expertise to what Orsillo is saying, games will become more enjoyable. People don't need to know about his other business ventures. The stupid jokes that sometimes make their way on the air are useless. It sometimes sounds forced. Viewers don't need that

I am opposed to Wally in every which way. When he first arrived on the scene, I thought he was a cheap marketing ploy that was better suited for independent baseball. I was hoping he would fade into obscurity after a couple of years. Unfortunately, this hasn't happened. No one needs to see him or a likeness of him on a lawn chair in the broadcast booth.

The Red Sox have the most expensive ticket in Major League baseball. This, of course, is due to playing in a small, oudated stadium. To its credit, the front office has made a tremendous effort to keep its team competitive year in and year out. I understand the need for ideas that are marketable and will translate into more dollars but I know there are better ways than a mascot to do it.

I also understand it's the same reason everything from lineups to first pitches to pitching changes need to be sponsored. It's about maintaining a business. Why does the game need to be sacrificed in order to bring in more revenue (the beginning of each half of the inning)? No one at NESN can come up with a better idea than to have viewers miss part of the first at-bat everytime it's a team's turn to bat?

Leave the volume level the same for the whole game. Don't manipulate it in and out of commercial breaks.

People like to watch the Red Sox on televison. I understand that sometimes it's difficult to watch. There is viable alternative: Just listen to the game on the radio. WEEI does a great job. Joe Castiglione and Dave O'Brien are a great pair. They know what they are talking about and the broadcasts aren't as gimmicky as what's on television.

As always, the consumers have a say in what they can watch and hear. If they complain about how NESN broadcasts a game but continue to tune in, they have nobody to blame but themselves.

No comments: