Featured Post

Greetings (Who is this guy?)

I've heard so much about the whole "Blog" thing and I have shrugged it off. I figured it was just a bunch of people who don...

Friday, October 09, 2009

Hail to the Chief because...

The Nobel Foundation annouced today Barack Obama, President of the United States, was the 2009 recipient of the Peace Prize for, "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples." The Associated Press reported the deadline for nominating people for the award in February, less than a month after Obama took office.

The AP went on to report the committee had awarded the prize to Obama, "to promote what he stands for and the positive processes and the positive processes that have started now."
In other words, thie prize was awarded to promote his beliefs rather than his accomplishments.

Foolish me. I thought you had to do something in order to get a prize.

I have long-wondered about the hype that has surrounded the former junior Senator from Illinois. What was it about him that made him such a prime candiate for President? I'm still waiting to see what it is that makes him an effective leader for the United States.

If a prize is to be awarded to someone for what they want to do, I would like to know when i can expect my Pulitzer Prize. Come on. I want to do good. I want to expose corruption. I want to tell the world of all the people who are working to make their homeland safer, more economically viable. I really want to. Where's my prize?

At the same time, we are forgetting that Barack Obama really had a choice to make when it came to his future. think about it: You are a Senator. People are seriously considering you for the next President of the United States. If you decide not to run, this means someone else from your party could be elected to the highest office in the land. That means you would have to wait eight years before you could run for President again. Would you pass that chance up? Eight years is a long time in someone's life, let alone the life of a politician.

Obama's stock was high. It could go nowhere but down. He struck while the iron was hot and rode a wave of international hype into the Oval Office. He reached for the opportunity with both hands and has taken full advantage of what has been presented to him.

Barack Obama has not been in office for a year yet. His country has annointed him based on what? Whatever it is, the global community has followed suit. Just when you think the legend of Obama can not get any bigger, someone is ready to step forward and make the man bigger than what he has accomplished.

No comments: